EUR

The main building and its history

Our prominent main building is located in the town center of Velburg right across the town hall. It was built in 1822 and ever since then remodeled constantly. In the following, you will find an outline of the hotel’s development until today.

The inn, which was formerly known as »Kreuzwirt«, was bought by Josef Gloßner for 70 000 German gold mark after he had married the brewer’s daughter Rosina Schneeberger from the village of Breitenbrunn in 1907. He continued to run the already existing brewery and farm. The owner, called »Posthalter« by the locals, which was a reference to the post office that was included in the building back then, transported people and goods with a horse-drawn carriage to the next train stations in Parsberg and Seubersdorf. He ran the local post office on behalf of the Princely House of Thurn and Taxis. The post office van eventually succeeded the horse-drawn carriages in 1923 and the post office remained in the building until 1966. One of their two daughters, Resi Gloßner, married the brewer’s son Georg Knerr from Neukirchen nearby Hemau, who continued to run the brewery and subsequently the Malthouse until 1970. Meanwhile, their daughter, called Maria, married a teacher called Richard Stigler from another small village that goes by the name Holzheim.

In the year of 1970 a crucial change took place at the inn. Due to the new freeway access demand for overnight accommodation rose sharply. Now, the great »conversion« began. First, the main building was extended by two floors. Following the extension, the former brewery was turned into several guest rooms. In 1981, the barn had to make room for additional guest rooms in order to increase the bed capacity once again. The upswing took place not least due to the Landesfinanzschule Bayern (Bavarian School for Finances) which held its courses in Velburg. Up to 150 students were accommodated at the hotel with full board.

The inn was turned into a carefully furnished hotel, consisting of the main building and two guest buildings. Three elevators, tastefully and individually furnished restaurants like the Postillon, the Jägerstüberl, an homage to the hunting tradition of family Stigler, the Bräugewölbe, the Spiegelsaal as well as the Kutschersaal and the Rädersaal provide a comfortable ambience for the guests. The individually decorated rooms are suitable for any kind of celebrations like weddings, family- and business-festivities as well as for meetings. Our kitchen offers a wide variety of regional specialties.

Many high dignitaries were our guests like the cousin of Queen Elizabeth II, high-ranking politicians and last but not least the former Pope Benedict XVI who, according to a newspaper, particularly enjoyed our meal.

 

The estate Hotel »Zur Post« has been in family ownership for more than 100 years.

  • 1907 – 1948Josef and Rosina Gloßner
  • 1948 – 1990Georg and Resi Knerr (daughter)
  • 1990 – 1995Resi Knerr
  • 1990 – 2009Richard Stigler and Maria Stigler (daughter)
  • 2009 – date Richard Stigler jun.

 





Copyright ©   *** Hotel & Gasthof » Zur Post « 
Velburg | All rights reserved.





Wappen der Stadt Velburg

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.